Sunday, April 19, 2009

Are all detergents equal?

A few weeks ago our washing machine broke, and with three kids I needed to keep the washings going. Luckily my mother lives around the corner, so before a new machine arrived I took a few loads over to her place.

She has a front-end loading machine and used a mainstream laundry soap - something I haven't used in 3 years. But I reasoned that it would be OK for just a few loads of wash.

Well I was wrong.  On Monday the kids and I went up to Norway Bay to visit friends, the kids played outside all day and had a blast. When we got home later that evening, my oldest called me into the bathroom saying that Matt had a rash. Well did he ever, all areas that had been covered by his freshly washed underwear and t-shirt now had what appeared to be big ugly hives. It only took me a few minutes to realize that it was the laundry detergent most likely coupled with hot sweaty skin that caused the rash. A shower and a does a allergy medicine cleared it up - but it goes to show that not all detergents are created equal.

Tamey
Pure Know How

No comments: